Home Table of Contents
OUT FROM UNDER!
Treating Your Own Addictions
GO ON! GO TO A MEETING
Try to go to a beginners meeting.
2. As soon as you have found a groups that you could share with, arrange to attend their meetings.
3. Be on time.
4. If there is a stranger seated nearby, introduce yourself.
5. Raise your hand at each meeting, even if only to ask a question or to give your first name and say you are a newcommer. This way the group gets to know you slowly.
6. Explain to the chairperson that you want to help out. Raise your hand when volunteers are requested for the collection, the raffle, or to help clean up.
7. Never leave a meeting without sharing a discussion and/or beverage with another person, especially a stranger.
8. Ask the chair person at the break how you can purchase a copy of the "Big Book" or other literature.
9. Within the first week, and preferably by the first or second meeting, ask someone who has been sober a year or more, is the same sex as you, and who looks like they would be suitable as a temporary sponsor. A sponsor is some one who can introduce you to members of the group, answer your questions, and provide guidance.
10. Call your sponsor daily, even just to say hello.
© 2003 by danmahony.com